Social Media Community Manager
About The Running Channel
The Running Channel (TRC) is a YouTube channel and content brand. Co-founded by Adam Tranter, the CEO of the successful PR and Social Media agency Fusion Media and Andy Baddeley, two-time Olympian, parkrun WR holder and Cambridge University graduate.
The channel’s content is aimed at English-speaking runners around the world, ranging in ability from first-time parkrunners to more experienced marathoners. It consists of educational how-to guides, tips, fun and exciting challenges, features, series and more.
We’re looking for an experienced Social Media Community Manager to join our growing team who will manage content output alongside interaction with the community across all our social media channels.
We are very much a startup, and the working environment is exciting and fast-paced, which means that you need to be flexible – in terms of day-to-day tasks, hours worked, and a job description that evolves as we do. If you would like to be part of a fun, vibrant and passionate team – and most importantly to contribute directly to the direction of the company, content and brand as we grow, then this is the right place for you.
Social Media Community Manager is a key role at the heart of the Running Channel team. We are built around the running community, committed to making engaging content that they are inspired by and want to share. As we grow, our content will be increasingly community-led, and ultimately engagement with our social channels will be a key component in audience growth. The role will have wide creative scope to find and create content, to run with new ideas, and to engage directly with the community to find new ideas, or capture exciting user-generated content.
The role will entail:
- Planning content (copy, imagery, videos, memes, tagging) based around an overall editorial calendar.
- All content across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Strava. Writing and scheduling email newsletters.
- Contributing to editorial calendar, planning content around key themes and working with TRC team to identify key moments and topics.
- Coordinating with external agencies for digital & performance marketing to align campaigns with editorial planning. Working closely with these agencies to provide the required content and adapting our strategy based on their feedback.
- Creating YouTube thumbnails. Writing YouTube titles and descriptions. Optimising for search including tagging.
- Scheduling all content using a scheduling tool (we currently use eClincher).
- Posting reactive, topical content as required.
- Replying to comments across all channels.
- Growing channel audiences via engagement and targeted following.
- Actively seeking out community content creators, with a view to using their content or collaborating on content.
- Capturing content (video and photography) at training sessions, events or races.
- Editing video content for specific platforms (duration, aspect ratio, captioning).
- Creating graphics, edited photography and memes.
- Monitoring and reporting on key metrics and using these to inform future strategy.
- Contributing to scriptwriting and ideation.
- Work outside normal working hours (eg evenings and weekends).
The role is ideally suited to a passionate runner, who understands the channel’s tone of voice, and who really “gets” running – being able to speak to runners of all abilities in an authentic way. There is absolutely no requirement for a certain ability of runner – we are looking for someone who is an active runner, and who would be comfortable creating social content at training sessions, events and races that they attend. This would also provide potential opportunities for your content to appear in YouTube videos as well as on our social channels.
- Create high quality, engaging social content.
- Grow all channel followings.
- Grow YouTube channel audience (overall company objective).
The Social Media Community Manager will have autonomy to plan and publish content across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Strava and will work with the wider team for YouTube output. They will report to the CEO for sign off of wider strategy or new concepts and ideas.
Required Experience and Skills
- Brand, agency or event experience as a social media manager or community manager. (We would consider candidates with experience at account executive level, or with relevant personal experience – eg as an influencer).
- Demonstrable understanding of paid social media (performance marketing) techniques and analytics.
- Creative mindset – the ability to come up with new and exciting ideas.
- Video and photography skills – must provide examples of self-shot/created content.
- Basic video and photography editing skills – using Adobe suite of tools.
- Flexibility to work in a small, fast-paced team.
- A passion for running.
- Demonstrable understanding of the running audience – ability to communicate with different abilities.
Please send a cover letter and your CV to Andy Baddeley, co-founder: firstname.lastname@example.org