Running Back To Normality? | The UK Government Reveals Timetable Out Of Lockdown
The UK Government’s announced their timetable for easing COVID-19 lockdown restrictions in England, bringing a glimmer of hope for a return to some form of normality. But what does this roadmap mean for sport and the return of running events?
The Government’s timetable is outlined as follows:
8th March :
- School pupils return in England
- You can meet one other person in an outdoor space / park for a picnic
- “Rule of six” comes back allowing up to six people to meet in an outdoor space, including private gardens
- “Stay at home” rule becomes “Stay local”
- Outdoor sport is once again permitted
- All gyms, swimming pools, libraries, shops and hairdressers can re-open
- Pubs and restaurants can open for outdoor seating only
- UK holidays are allowed for single families
- Outdoor venues can reopen
- “Rule of six’ now becomes “Rule of 30” for outdoor gatherings
- Two households or 6 people now can begin meeting indoors
- Indoor hospitality opens, including pubs, restaurants and museums
- Sports venues can have a limited number of fans
- All legal limitations on social contact will be removed
- Remaining hospitality reopens
- Large events could restart
When Can I Run With My Running Club Again?
England Athletics posted on their Facebook page that they were optimistic that group activity could return on 29th March:
“We will now seek further clarity from Sport England and DCMS (Department of Culture, Media and Sport) on the details contained within the UK Government’s roadmap and remain optimistic about the return on March 29 of athletics, running, training and other activity in clubs and groups and then for the safe return of competition and the sport more widely.”
What the return to group activities will look like remains to be seen, however, in line with the Government’s timetable, it is likely that the return will start with smaller groups, gradually increasing numbers as we get closer to summer.
What Does This Mean For The Return Of Running Events?
From 17th May, sports venues can have a limited number of fans in attendance and then from 21st June large events could restart – so we could see some smaller races returning around this time.
If you have a race coming up, then it’s definitely a good idea to check the event’s website for further information about that particular event.
When Will parkrun Be Back?
No official announcement has been made from parkrun UK, so watch this space… But with restrictions lifting on 21st June, we remain optimistic that UK events can return sometime this summer.